Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Medium
- 1 fillet of beef, (2 lbs.) trimmed
- 1½ tsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1½ tsp. olive oil
- 1½ tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. sweet paprika
- 2 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 1½ tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ⅓ tsp. dried oregano
- ⅓ tsp. dried thyme
- Preheat the oven to 500°. Treat a baking sheet or a roasting rack set in a roasting pan with nonstick spray.
- Pat the outside of the meat dry with a paper towel. Place the meat on a piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil large enough to hold the fillet. Set aside to come to room temperature while you perform the other steps.
- In a small bowl, mix together the unsalted butter and olive oil.
- In another small bowl, combine all the remaining dry ingredients; mix well.
- Use your hands to spread the butter-olive oil mixture over the entire surface of the meat. Sprinkle the dry seasoning mixture evenly over the entire surface of the meat, patting it into the meat. Move the fillet to the prepared baking sheet or roasting rack. Insert the probe of a meat thermometer into the center of thickest part of the fillet. Roast, uncovered, to desired doneness. (Keep in mind that the temperature of the fillet will rise by a few degrees while it rests in step 6.)
- Remove the beef from the oven, and place it under an aluminum foil “tent” that is crimped tightly to the pan. Allow the meat to rest at room temperature for 20 minutes. Use a serrated knife to slice the fillet into 16 equal-sized pieces.