Beef and Guinness Stew
This stew is filled with vegetables and is very flavorful. The small amounts of sugar and cocoa eliminate the bitterness occasionally found in similar stews without being detectable.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 8 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 tsp. canola oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 Tbsp. minced fresh thyme, divided
- 2 lbs. lean top round roast, cut into 1" cubes
- 1 Tbsp. dark brown sugar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. baking cocoa
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup Guinness Extra Stout
- ½ cup frozen peas
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Sauté the onions, parsnips, carrots, garlic, potatoes, 2 tablespoons thyme, and beef until the ingredients begin to soften and brown. Drain any excess fat.
- Add to a 4-quart slow cooker. Sprinkle with sugar, salt, pepper, and cocoa. Pour in the water and Guinness. Stir. Cook for 8 hours on low.
- Add the frozen peas. Cover and cook an additional ½ hour on high. Stir and serve topped with remaining thyme.