Beef and Pasta Casserole
This is a casserole to serve a crowd! Make it ahead of time and store it, unbaked, in the fridge, then add 10–15 minutes to the baking time.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 40 minutesTotal: 2 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- 1½ lbs. lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups beef stock, divided
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
- ½ cup bulghur wheat
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp. ground allspice
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. arrowroot
- 1 can (13 oz.) evaporated milk
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 cups low-fat cottage cheese, puréed
- 1 lb. cooked ziti
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large skillet, brown beef, stirring to break up beef, until partially cooked. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until beef is done and vegetables are tender. Drain thoroughly.
- Add 1 cup beef stock, wine, and tomato paste and stir until tomato paste is blended. Add bulgur, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, combine arrowroot and remaining 1 cup beef broth; stir to blend.
- Add evaporated milk and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir with wire whisk until thickened, about 5–6 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in ½ cup Parmesan cheese and the cottage cheese. Add pasta to cheese mixture.
- Spray 9" × 13" glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Layer half of the pasta mixture and half of the meat mixture in pan. Repeat layers, then sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until casserole is bubbling and cheese is melted and beginning to brown. Let stand for 10 minutes, then serve.