Beef Ravioli with Tomato Sauce
This fun dish is hearty and comforting, and everything you need on a relaxing evening at home.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 3 cups durum wheat (semolina) flour
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt, divided
- 4 large eggs, divided
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1⁄3 cup minced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 4 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 cups pasta sauce
- Sift flour and 1⁄4 teaspoon salt into a large mixing bowl. In a medium bowl, whisk together 3 eggs, olive oil, and water.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the egg mixture. Mix together by hand or in a mixer with a dough hook until the dough forms into a ball. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine beef, onion, garlic, remaining egg, cheese, pepper, and remaining 1⁄4 teaspoon salt. Set aside.
- Roll out the pasta dough on a floured surface into a sheet about 1⁄2 inch thick. Cut sheet into two equal rectangles. Trace 3-inch squares onto one of the rectangles. Spoon a teaspoonful of the meat mixture onto the centers of the squares. Lightly paint the outer edge of the squares with a tiny amount of water. Place the other pasta sheet over the top and gently seal around the squares by pressing closed with your fingers. Cut out the squares.
- Bring a large pot of water to a slow boil. Add the pasta, and cook 10 minutes, or until al dente (the beef can be a bit rare). Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat pasta sauce in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add ravioli and toss to coat.