Beef Stew with Green Beans
Adding green beans at the last minutes means they’ll keep their bright color and crunch.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 2 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 lb. beef round steak, cut into 1½" pieces
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1" pieces
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1" pieces
- 1 can (14 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup water
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup green beans, trimmed
- Toss steak with flour, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. In large skillet over medium-high heat, heat olive oil. Sauté beef until brown, about 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir for 4 to 5 minutes until crisp-tender. Add carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, beef broth, wine, and water; stir.
- Bring to a boil, then cover pan, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 2 hours until beef is thoroughly cooked. Stir in green beans and simmer until heated through, about 10 minutes.