The mushrooms should be 2 1⁄2 inches across. This is a great side dish or appetizer.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄2 lb. lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup minced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 piece (1 inch) gingerroot, peeled and minced
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp. wheat-free Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 12 large mushroom caps, stems removed, brushed off
- Sauté the ground beef, onion, garlic, gingerroot, and oregano in the oil, mixing constantly to break up lumps. When the meat turns pink (but not gray or brown), remove from the heat and add the Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. When almost cool, blend in the egg.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Divide the stuffing among the mushrooms in a baking pan. Pour enough water to come 1⁄4 inch up the sides in the pan.
- Bake the mushrooms for 25 minutes.