Serve these onions for dinner, alongside a salad and a sweet side.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 4 large onions, peeled
- 1 lb. ground beef
- ¼ tsp. ground allspice
- ¼ tsp. dried dill
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice, divided
- 2 tsp. dried parsley
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp. almond flour
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cutting across the onions (not from bottom to top), cut the top ⅓ off the onions. Scoop out the onion cores.
- Chop the onion cores and add to the ground beef , allspice, dill, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, parsley, pepper, and egg; mix well. Fill the onion halves with the meat mixture. Sprinkle flour over the top.
- Add the oil to a deep 3½-quart nonstick skillet and bring it to temperature over medium heat. Add the onions to the pan, meat side down, and sauté for 10 minutes or until browned.
- Arrange the onions in an oven-proof casserole dish so that the meat side is up. Top with thyme. Mix the remaining tablespoon of lemon juice into the broth; pour the broth around the onions. Bake for 40 minutes, or until the onion is soft and the meat is cooked through.