Colorful bell peppers make a beautiful cooking vessel for a filling made with ground beef, rice, tomatoes and black olives. Top with mozzarella cheese and bake until soft and gooey for a delicious one-pot meal. If you would like to serve them with the caps on, bake the caps on a greased baking sheet for a few minutes or until soft. Set them aside to cool until the stuffed peppers are ready to be served.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 6 large bell peppers
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 can (15 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1½ cups cooked rice
- 1 cup chopped black olives
- 6 oz. mozzarella cheese, cut into chunks
- Set oven to 375˚F. Pour about 1 cup water into a medium baking dish.
- Cut the tops off the peppers and carefully remove membranes and seeds. Blanch the peppers in boiling water for 2 minutes; remove and drain.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, heat oil, add onions, and cook gently for 7 minutes, or until translucent. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add ground beef, season with ½ tsp. salt and ⅛ tsp. pepper and cook for 7 minutes, or until no longer pink. Stir often, breaking up pieces with wooden spoon. Off heat, stir in tomatoes, rice, and olives.
- Spoon the mixture into the blanched peppers. Nestle stuffed peppers into baking dish and dot the tops with chunks of cheese. Bake for 35–45 minutes, or until peppers are tender and the cheese is melted and begins to brown.