Beef and Tofu Stew
This stew is the perfect meal on a chilly night. Savory beef, silken tofu, and a dab of chili paste create a meal that will warm you through and through.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 40 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 lb. beef stew meat, cubed
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 1 large zucchini, sliced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 package (16 oz.) silken tofu, diced
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. arrowroot powder
- 1 Tbsp. Korean chili garlic paste
- 2 scallions (white and green parts), thinly sliced
- Heat vegetable oil over medium heat in a large Dutch oven. When the oil shimmers, add the beef and season with salt. Brown on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Add the onion and zucchini. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the stock and bring to a boil. Add the tofu and soy sauce and stir well.
- Whisk together the arrowroot powder with 1 tablespoon water and pour into the stock. When the sauce has thickened and the tofu is warmed through, ladle into bowls.
- Top stew with chili paste and garnish with scallions.