Beef and Vegetable Pastry
Enjoy this rustic pie, made by filling a pie crust with a meat mixture, then just folding over the filling.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 lb. sliced deli roast beef
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. dried marjoram leaves
- 1 cup shredded low-fat Swiss cheese
- 3 Tbsp. grated Romano cheese
- 1 ready-made pie crust, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, red bell pepper, and mushrooms; cook and stir until vegetables are tender and liquid evaporates, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and place in large bowl.
- Add beef, ricotta, flour, salt, pepper, marjoram, and Swiss cheese and mix gently. Roll out pie crust to a 12-inch circle and place on baking sheet. Place beef mixture on one half of pie dough, leaving a 2-inch border. Sprinkle with Romano cheese. Gently fold pie dough over the beef mixture and press the edges together. Primp edges with your fingers and cut 3 small slashes in the top of the pastry.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes, then slice to serve.