Beef and Vegetable Stew
Fresh herbs brighten this traditional hearty stew. This recipe could be prepared with a variety of seasonal herbs, so experiment for yourself!
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 8 hours 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 tsp. almond oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 parsnips, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh tarragon
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh rosemary
- 1 lb. lean beef top round roast, cut into 1" cubes
- 1½ cups water
- 1 bulb fennel, diced
- 1 Tbsp. minced parsley
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion, parsnips, carrots, celery, garlic, tarragon, rosemary, and beef for 5–10 minutes, until the ingredients begin to soften and brown. Drain off any excess fat.
- Place the mixture in a 4-quart slow cooker. Pour in the water. Stir. Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Add the fennel. Cover and cook on high for an additional ½ hour. Stir in the parsley before serving.