You can also prepare this with pork or beef; adjust seasonings to taste. (The cooking times will stay the same.)
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 6 hours 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ¾ cup rice vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tsp. black peppercorns, roughly pounded
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 tsp. red chili powder
- 2 green serrano chilies, minced
- 1½ lbs. boneless lean beef, cubed
- 3 Tbsp. light olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. grated gingerroot
- 1 large red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 6 whole dried red chilies, roughly pounded
- 1 cinnamon stick (1")
- ½ tsp. turmeric powder
- Salt, to taste
- In the slow cooker insert, combine the rice vinegar, water, black peppercorns, garlic, red chili powder, and green chilies. Add the beef and coat evenly with the marinade. Refrigerate, covered, for 1 hour.
- In a deep pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the gingerroot and sauté for about 10 seconds. Add the onion and sauté for about 7–8 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add the dried red chilies, cinnamon stick, and turmeric powder; sauté for 20 seconds.
- Remove the beef pieces from the marinade. Add the beef to the pan with onions and sauté on high heat for about 10 minutes or until the beef is browned and the oil starts to separate from the mixture.
- Transfer the browned beef back to the slow cooker. Mix with the marinade and salt. Cover and cook on high for 4–5 hours, or on low for 8–10 hours, or until the beef is cooked through and tender. Serve hot.