Beefy Bean and Chili Burger
This delicious chili is not only good on burgers. It’s also good with hot dogs, ham, pulled pork, and barbecue. Serve these burgers with lots of napkins!
Serves: 4Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 lbs. 85% lean ground beef, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 medium red onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, cored and minced
- 1 can (13 oz.) small red beans
- 1 can (15 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. Tabasco sauce
- 1 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- 6 oz. beer
- 4 hamburger buns
- 4 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 4 leaves lettuce
- 1⁄2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-low heat. Add the garlic, onions, and peppers. Cook, stirring to soften the vegetables, 5 to 7 minutes. Add 1 pound of the ground beef and cook until browned, about 10 minutes. Add the beans, tomatoes, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco, cocoa powder, and beer. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- While the chili is cooking, preheat a grill. Form the remaining pound of ground beef into 4 patties. Grill over medium heat for 4 minutes on each side, or until burgers reach desired doneness.
- To serve, spread a tablespoon of mayonnaise on the bottom of each hamburger bun. Build the burgers by layering the buns with lettuce, grilled beef patties, shredded cheese, a large spoonful of chili, and the top bun.