Beer-Basted Sausage with Caramelized Onions and German Mustard
This hearty dish combines several ingredients typically associated with German cuisine, including sausage, beer, and hot mustard. Bratwurst, wieners, or knackwurst are all good choices for the sausage.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 white onion
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3 Tbsp. German hot mustard, such as Dusseldorf
- 8 German sausages
- ½ cup dark beer, preferably German
- Preheat grill on medium-high heat. Peel and slice the onion.
- Fill a deep 12" frying pan with 1" of water. Add the chopped onion and cook on medium heat until caramelized (about 10 minutes). Remove the onions from the pan and drain.
- Melt the butter in the frying pan. Stir in the mustard. Return the onions to the pan and cook over medium heat until they are glazed (5 to 7 minutes).
- Grill the sausages on medium-high heat, basting frequently with the beer, until browned and cooked through (8 to 10 minutes on each side). Serve with the caramelized onions.