This famous recipe is usually made with grill seasoning, a blend of salt, pepper, and spices including garlic and cumin. Using Tex-Mex ingredients gives it a real kick!
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 roasting chicken (4 lbs.)
- 1 can (12 oz.) beer
- 1 Tbsp. red chili powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. hot salt
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp. adobo sauce
- 2 tsp. chili paste
- 1⁄8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground white pepper
- Prepare and preheat grill. Wash chicken and dry thoroughly.
- Pour off (or drink) about half of the beer and set remainder aside. In small bowl, combine chili powder, hot salt, cumin, adobo sauce, chili paste, cayenne pepper, and white pepper. Rub 1⁄2 on the outside of the chicken, rub 1⁄4 on the inside of the chicken, and add 1⁄4 to the beer. Place chicken on can, using legs to hold chicken upright.
- Cook chicken on grill, covered, over indirect heat for 1 to 1 1⁄2 hours until chicken is deep golden brown and thoroughly cooked.