Beer, Ham, and Cheese Soup
This thick and hearty soup is so filling that with a simple salad it is enough for dinner.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup finely chopped cauliflower
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 bottle (12 oz.) beer
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 1⁄2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1⁄4 cup minced chives
- In large stockpot or saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add carrots, cauliflower, onion, and garlic and cook and stir until vegetables are tender, about 5 to 6 minutes. Add flour, salt, and pepper; cook until mixture bubbles, then cook and stir for 2 more minutes.
- Add beer; cook and stir until mixture thickens. Add broth; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Add milk and cream and cook until mixture is hot.
- Working in batches, transfer the mixture to the jar of a blender and puree until smooth, or use an immersion blender.
- Returned pureed soup to the pot and add ham. Add 2 cups of the shredded cheese, a handful at a time, stirring until cheese melts and soup is blended and thick. Serve immediately topped with remaining cheese and chives