Beet Borscht with Bacon and Spinach
Bacon and baby spinach adds richness and texture to this classic borsht soup. Serve with hearty brown bread.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans (15 oz.) sliced beets, drained
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup fresh dill, chopped
- In large stockpot, cook bacon until crisp; remove bacon to paper towel to drain; crumble and set aside.
- In drippings remaining in pot, cook onion and garlic until tender, about 5 minutes. Add beets, tomato paste, chicken broth, salt, and pepper and stir. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender or potato masher, mash some of the beets, leaving some whole. Stir in apple-cider vinegar, spinach leaves, and cooked bacon and bring just to a simmer again.
- Serve soup with a dollop of sour cream and fresh dill.