Beet and Cabbage Borscht
A pretty alternative to the red beet is the baby golden beet. These are delicious and certainly have a more subtle flavor than red beets.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. caraway seeds
- ½ cup diced onion
- ½ cup peeled and diced carrots
- ½ cup diced celery
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- ½ cup peeled, diced potatoes
- 1 cup peeled, diced tomatoes (canned)
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 6 cups beef broth
- 2 cups diced beets (canned)
- 2 Tbsp. dried dill weed
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- ½ cup sour cream
- 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh dill
- Put the olive oil in a soup pot and sauté the caraway seeds, onion, carrots, and celery in it over medium heat until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add cabbage, potatoes, tomatoes (with liquid), tomato paste, and beef broth, bring to a boil, and simmer 45 minutes.
- Add the beets (with liquid), dill, and vinegar and simmer 10–15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot garnished with sour cream and chopped fresh dill.