Serve with crudité. For a festive presentation, serve with spears of Belgian endive layed out from the center of the platter.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 6 fresh red beets
- Splash of vinegar, lemon juice, or red wine
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup plain yogurt
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the beets in large pot of boiling salted water, with a splash of vinegar, lemon juice, or red wine added, until tender, about 35 minutes. Drain, and let cool. Peel and chop coarsely. (You may want to wear rubber gloves while peeling, as the beets will stain your fingers.)
- Combine the beets, onion, and garlic in a blender or food processor; blend until smooth. Transfer the beet mixture to a medium-size bowl and mix in the sour cream, and yogurt. Season the dip with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Spoon the dip into a bowl and serve chilled.