Beet and Grapefruit Salad with Beet Greens
This hearty and nutrient-rich salad requires a few steps to prepare, but is well worth the effort. Wash beet greens well to remove any grit and then steam in a skillet. While the beets roast, supreme (remove the sections) one grapefruit and juice the other. Use the juice to make a dressing for the salad. This is great in the winter!
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 large beets with greens
- 2 grapefruits
- 1 shallot, grated
- 1⁄4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 tsp. grapefruit zest
- Remove beet greens, trim stems, and rinse well.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a baking sheet with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Trim the ends of beets, cut in half, and place cut-side-down on prepared baking sheet.
- Roast for 45 to 60 minutes, or until tender in the middle.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet with cover over medium-high heat, cook beet greens (with water on leaves from rinsing), covered, for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Using a large, sharp knife, trim the top and bottom off of one grapefruit. With cut side up, slice lengthwise between flesh and peel, following fruit's contour, remove peel and pith. Slice lengthwise between each segment and the membrane until you reach the center of the fruit. Continue to remove all sections. Place in a bowl.
- Cut the remaining grapefruit in half across the middle. Squeeze juice into a bowl. Measure 2 tablespoons of juice and place in a small bowl with shallot, vinegar, the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil, grapefruit juice, and grapefruit zest.
- When beets are cool enough to handle, peel, cut into bite-size pieces.
- To serve, divide beet greens over 4 plates, top with beets and grapefruit sections, and drizzle with the dressing.