Deep-red beets provide an eye-catching, tasty twist on traditional latkes.
Serves: 6Prep: 5 minutesCook: 25 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 pound fresh beets, peeled and grated
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- Vegetable oil
- Apple sauce (optional garnish)
- Sour cream (optional garnish)
- Chives (optional garnish)
- Combine beets, onion, eggs, flour, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Heat vegetable oil (cover to about ¼” high) in a 12” skillet over medium-high heat.
- Drop about 2 Tbsp. of beet mixture into the oil, flattening slightly to form a latke. Cook 2-3 minutes, until golden brown. Flip, cooking another 2-3 minutes until golden brown and cooked through. Repeat this step until all dough has been used up.
- Serve immediately. Garnish with apple sauce, sour cream or chives, if desired. Refrigerate leftovers.