Beet Salad with Blue Cheese and Walnuts
Beets can stain hands bright red. Wear rubber gloves while removing the skins.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 5 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 8 medium beets (about 2 bunches), cleaned and trimmed
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 4 Tbsp. fresh chives, minced
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
- ½ small red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ cup crumbled blue cheese
- ⅓ cup toasted walnut pieces
- Place the beets in a 4-quart slow cooker. Toss with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil.
- Cover and cook on high for 3–4 hours or until beets are easily pierced with a fork. Place the hot beets on a chopping board. Let cool for 1 hour, then remove and discard skins. Slice each beet into 8 pieces.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining olive oil with the balsamic vinegar, chives, salt, and pepper. Toss the dressing with the beets and red onion. Divide the beets between 4 plates. Sprinkle evenly with the crumbled blue cheese and toasted walnuts before serving.