Leave out the yogurt if you prefer a non-creamy beet soup.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 2 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 large beets
- ¼ cup plus 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 medium onions, peeled and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 cups finely sliced white cabbage
- 1 cup tomato purée
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 6 cups beef stock
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup fresh dill
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Rub the beets with 1 tablespoon oil. Wrap them in aluminum foil and place them on a baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes or until fork-tender. Peel the skins off the beets with the back of a knife and discard. Chop the beets into ½" chunks.
- Add the remaining oil to a large pot over medium heat, and heat for 30 seconds. Add the onions, garlic, carrots, and celery, and cook for 15 minutes. Add the cabbage, tomato purée, parsley, and beets. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the stock and potatoes, increase the heat to medium-high, and bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 45–60 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked. Stir in salt, pepper, and vinegar.
- Top each serving with a dollop of yogurt and a sprig or tow of dill.