Beetroot Pâté (Punajuuripatee)
You won’t believe how good the combination of roasted beets, garlic, and blue cheese is in this colorful vegetable pâté.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 3 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 5 beets
- 3 cloves garlic, with peel on
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄3 cup Danish blue cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a terrine or loaf pan.
- Scrub the beets well and place in a roasting pan with the garlic and onions. Cover with aluminum foil, place in oven, and roast for 1 hour. Remove from the oven and cool until beets can be handled. Lower oven temperature to 300°F.
- Peel the beets and cut into chunks. Peel the garlic. Add the cooked onions, beets and garlic to the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth. Add olive oil, eggs, cream, blue cheese, walnuts, salt, and pepper. Pulse until combined.
- Transfer the mixture to prepared pan and place the pan in the center of a larger casserole dish. Add enough water to the casserole dish to fill half way.
- Place the casserole dish with the terrine or loaf pan in the oven and cook for 1 1⁄2 hours.
- Remove from oven. Pâté can be served warm or cold with crackers and slices of hearty bread.