These are very close in texture and flavor to the wonderful beignets found in the New Orleans French Market District. Sprinkle hot beignets heavily with confectioners' sugar and serve with coffee.
Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 4 hours 45 minutes
- 1 envelope (¼ oz.) active dry yeast
- 1½ cups warm water (105°F–110ºF)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 7 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup vegetable shortening, at room temperature
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, sprinkle yeast over water. Stir and let stand for 5 minutes. Add granulated sugar, salt, eggs, and evaporated milk. Whisk to blend well. Add 4 cups flour and beat until smooth. Beat in shortening, then gradually blend in remaining flour until a soft dough has formed. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Heat oil to 360°F in a deep fryer.
- Roll out dough on a well-floured surface to about ⅛" thickness. Cut into 2½" squares.
- Fry in hot oil a few at a time until golden brown on both sides, turning a few times. Drain on paper towels, and then sprinkle generously with confectioners' sugar.