You can make this Chinese restaurant favorite at home—it’s so simple to make!
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 Tbsp. ketchup
- 2 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 4 Tbsp. sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 7 Tbsp. plus 2 tsp. cornstarch, divided
- 6 Tbsp. water, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1 lb. flank steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup plus vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium white onion, peeled and chopped
- In a small bowl, mix together ketchup, vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, crushed red pepper, 2 tsp. cornstarch, and 4 tablespoons water. Set aside.
- In a large bowl or resealable plastic bag, combine egg, 2 tablespoons water, 1 tablespoon cornstarch, and salt. Mix well. Add steak and marinate for 15 minutes.
- Remove steak from marinade and shake off excess. Place in a medium bowl. Sprinkle with remaining 6 tablespoons cornstarch and toss to coat.
- Heat oil in a deep skillet or wok. Fry steak in batches 5 minutes until browned. Drain on paper towels. Add garlic to the hot oil and stir-fry for 10 seconds. Add the peppers and onions and stir-fry for 2 minutes more. Remove vegetables and set aside.
- Pour sauce into the wok and heat until boiling. Return steak and vegetables to wok and stir to combine. Remove from heat and serve hot.