Bell Peppers with Herb-Laced Farro & Veggie Stuffing
Whole grain farro makes a tasty, satisfying addition to stuffed peppers. A simple chimichurri sauce adds bold flavor to this dish.
Serves: 4Prep: 20 minutesCook: 40 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup uncooked farro
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon Kroger® Olive or Vegetable Oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 package (8 oz.) mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced zucchini and/or summer squash
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup Private Selection™ Chimichurri Finishing Sauce
- 1⁄2 cup Parmesan cheese, finely shredded
- Drain and rinse farro. Place in 2-quart saucepan with water and salt. Heat until boiling; cover and simmer 30-40 minutes or until tender but chewy. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 400°F. Spray 13”x9” baking dish with nonstick spray. Cut peppers lengthwise in half; carefully remove white membrane and seeds. Place cut-side up in baking dish.
- In 12” nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook and stir onion in oil 3 minutes; stir in mushrooms, zucchini and garlic. Continue cooking 5-7 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in farro and finishing sauce. Heat 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently, until hot.
- Spoon about ½ cup mixture into each pepper half. Bake uncovered 30-35 minutes or until peppers begin to soften and filling is hot. Divide cheese among peppers; heat 2 minutes longer or until cheese melts.
- Grilling Directions: Heat grill for direct heat. Place stuffed peppers in 12”x10” disposable aluminum pan. Place pan on grill rack. Cover and grill with medium heat 30-35 minutes or until peppers begin to soften and filling is hot. Divide cheese among peppers; grill 2 minutes longer or until cheese melts.