Bengali Potatoes (Aloo Pooshto)
Use white poppy seeds in this recipe for aloo pooshto. Dry roast them prior to cooking to bring out their flavor. They are sold at Indian markets and online.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. white poppy seeds
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- ½ tsp. turmeric powder
- ½ tsp. red chili powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- Cut the potatoes into ½" dice. Set aside.
- Heat a small skillet on medium. Dry roast the poppy seeds until they start to change color, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and let the seeds cool. In a spice grinder, grind the seeds into a thick paste using a few tablespoons of water. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil on medium. Add the potatoes, and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes. Add the poppy seed paste, turmeric powder, red chili powder, and salt; mix well. Sauté for another 2 to 3 minutes
- Add about ½ cup water. Cover, and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 10 to 12 minutes. Serve hot.