Berry Almond Scones
These slightly sweet scones have a light texture with a soft crumb. Try different types of fruit, such as strawberries or blackberries, in place of the blueberries.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 cups blanched almond flour
- 3⁄4 cup arrowroot starch
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 large egg, slightly whisked
- 2⁄3 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (do not defrost if frozen)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9-inch cake pan with parchment paper and spritz with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, arrowroot starch, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Use a fork and knife or a pastry cutter to cut butter evenly into flour mixture until it resembles small peas. Set aside.
- In a small bowl mix together egg, almond milk, vanilla extract, and lemon juice.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until thoroughly incorporated. Add blueberries and mix. Batter will be thick. Pour batter into the prepared cake pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the edges are golden-brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out mostly clean with few crumbs.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool for several minutes. Cut into 8 triangular scones.