Best Chocolate Cake
Serves: 10Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 oz. unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 5 large eggs
- 2¼ cups sifted cake flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar, divided
- 2 oz. semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. light cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line the bottom of 3 round cake pans (9") with parchment paper and grease the sides.
- In a large bowl, stir the shortening to soften. Gradually add the granulated sugar, creaming until light and fluffy. Mix in the vanilla and chocolate. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with the milk, beating well after each addition. Pour into the prepared pans.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean. Cool on racks.
- While the cake cools, make the frosting: In a bowl, cream the butter until light. Gradually stir in 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, then the melted chocolate, and then the rest of the sugar. Stir in the vanilla, salt, and enough cream to create a good frosting consistency. Blend well.
- Stack and frost the layers as desired.