The Best Light Garlic Cheese Bread
Mellow, roasted garlic along with fresh garlic and a little cheese makes crunchy French bread into a fabulous yet low-fat treat.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 1 whole head garlic
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 2 Tbsp. butter, softened
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large baguette
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Slice the top off the garlic bulb so that the kernels are exposed. Place in a small baking dish. Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil over the garlic head and massage the oil into the cloves using your fingers. Cover the garlic with aluminium foil and bake for 35 minutes, until the garlic cloves are soft and malleable.
- Preheat broiler. Remove garlic from skins and place in small bowl. Mash with fork, then blend in olive oil, butter, minced garlic, and cheese; mix well.
- Cut baguette into 12 slices. Place on broiler pan; broil 6 inches from heat source for 3 to 5 minutes until brown on one side. Remove from oven and turn baguette over.
- Spread evenly with garlic mixture. Return to broiler; broil for 3 to 4 minutes, watching carefully, until topping begins to bubble and brown. Remove from broiler and serve immediately.