Best Oven Baked Sweet Potatoes
This recipe was created by America’s Test Kitchen Kids. Opening up baked sweet potatoes (or regular potatoes) allows excess steam to escape and gives you a chance to add some sauce, butter, or olive oil. You can serve sweet potatoes plain or with our Chive Sour Cream or Garam Masala Yogurt. Safety Considerations: This recipe uses uses the microwave, uses the oven, uses a knife
Serves: 4Prep: 30 minutesCook: 1 hourTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- Vegetable oil spray
- 4 small sweet potatoes (about 8 ounces each)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 425 degrees. Line rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Set cooling rack inside baking sheet and spray rack with vegetable oil spray.
- Use fork to prick each sweet potato lightly in 3 places. Place potatoes on large microwave-safe plate and cook in microwave for 3 minutes.
- Use tongs to flip potatoes over. Cook in microwave until slightly soft when squeezed with tongs, about 3 minutes.
- Use oven mitts to remove plate from microwave (ask an adult for help—plate will be VERY hot). Use tongs to transfer potatoes to baking sheet.
- Place baking sheet in oven and bake until potatoes are lightly browned and feel very soft when gently squeezed with tongs, about 1 hour.
- Use oven mitts to remove baking sheet from oven (ask an adult for help). Place baking sheet on second cooling rack and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Use dish towel to hold potato steady and carefully use paring knife to cut slit in potato lengthwise. Use dish towel to hold ends of potato and squeeze slightly to push flesh up and out of slit. Ask an adult for help—the steam will be hot. Repeat with remaining potatoes. Use tongs to transfer potatoes to serving platter. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Serve as is, with butter, olive oil, or sauce.