The Best Pesto
This is an exquisite sauce for pasta, spread for sandwiches, or topping for pizza.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- ⅓ cup pine nuts, toasted
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, washed and dried thoroughly
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- Pulse garlic in food processor until finely chopped. Add pine nuts and pulse a few times just to break them into pieces. Scrape side of bowl, add basil, and 1 cup of olive oil over the leaves and pulse until basil is medium chopped (pieces about the size of cooked rice). Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Using a plastic spatula or a wooden spoon, fold in the Parmesan cheese; season with salt and pepper and thin to sauce consistency with the remaining olive oil. It will keep in the refrigerator for 1 week or in the freezer for up to 2 months.