Better Buttermilk Breakfast Cake
Rich, sweet buttermilk cake for breakfast. Sounds too sweet to be true, doesn’t it? Well, hold on to your sweet tooth! This morning treat is all dolled up and headed for a plate near you.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 box (18.25 oz.) white cake mix
- 1 cup plus 1 Tbsp. buttermilk, divided
- 1⁄2 cup plus 1 Tbsp. melted butter, divided
- 5 large eggs
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 10-inch tube pan.
- Combine cake mix, 1 cup buttermilk, and 1⁄2 cup melted butter. Mix using an electric mixer set to medium speed for 2 minutes. Add eggs and continue beating.
- In a separate bowl, mix brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Sprinkle granulated sugar and nuts into bottom of tube pan. Pour in one-third of the batter. Sprinkle batter with brown sugar mixture. Top with remaining batter. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove cake from oven and cool in pan for 15 minutes. Invert pan onto serving surface and let cool an additional 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix confectioners’ sugar, vanilla extract, the remaining 1 tablespoon buttermilk, and the remaining 1 tablespoon melted butter to form a glaze. When cake has cooled, drizzle with glaze.