Better than Grandma’s Yellow Pea Soup
Yellow pea soup has been served on Thursdays in Sweden for centuries.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 11 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- 1 lb. whole or split dried yellow peas, soaked overnight in 4 cups water
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 2 large yellow onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 smoked ham hocks
- 3 star anise
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground white pepper
- Drain soaked peas, rinse well, and place in large stock pot with 8 cups water, carrots, onions, and ham hocks. Bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 90 minutes, checking occasionally to skim foam or pea skins off the surface.
- Temporarily remove the ham hocks from the soup. With an immersion blender, purée soup until about half of the peas are liquefied (this will help to thicken the soup). Return the ham hocks to the pot and simmer 20 more minutes.
- Half an hour before serving, remove ham hocks. Remove fat and discard. Chop the remaining meat and return it to the pot. Stir in star anise, thyme, salt, and pepper; simmer for an additional 15 minutes. Remove anise pods and serve.