Better-Than-Takeout Mongolian Beef
This homemade version of the Chinese takeout favorite is lower in fat and sodium without losing any flavor.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 5 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 lbs. lean beef bottom roast, extra fat removed
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and grated
- 1" knob fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 medium onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. black vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. hoisin sauce
- 1 Tbsp. five-spice powder
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- Place all ingredients in a 4-quart oval slow cooker. Cover and cook for 5 hours on low or until the meat is thoroughly cooked through and tender.
- Remove the roast to a cutting board. Slice thinly and return it to the slow cooker. Cook for an additional 20 minutes on high. Stir the meat and the sauce. Serve hot.