Big Daddy Biscuits
Save to My Recipes
These biscuits rise high and flaky, like down-home puff pastry.
Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 55 minutes
- 3 cups cake flour
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup cold whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- In a large bowl, sift together cake flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Cut in butter until it is broken down into pea-sized pieces.
- Whisk together egg and milk. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture, and pour in wet ingredients. Using a fork, blend until the dough just comes together.
- Turn onto a floured surface and fold dough over onto itself 6–8 times. (Be careful not to knead or overwork.) Pat into 1" thickness. Cut into circles using a floured round cutter. Place biscuits 2" apart on prepared pan and set aside to rest 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Brush cream generously onto biscuits, then bake 15–20 minutes until golden brown. Turn pan halfway through baking to promote even browning.