Bison Black Bean Chili
Bison is a great lean protein source and is loaded with iron, antioxidants and zinc. Freeze a big batch of this hearty chili in containers to have on hand for a healthful belly-warming meal in a snap!
Serves: 15Prep: 20 minutesCook: 45 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 tablespoons Simple Truth™ Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 pounds Simple Truth™ 90% Lean Ground Bison Meat
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1½ cups)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups red, green or yellow peppers, or a combination of all three, chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced (about 4 cups)
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/4 cup adobo sauce (with 2 chipotle peppers, minced)
- 1 tablespoon Simple Truth™ Dried Oregano Leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cans (15 oz.) Simple Truth™ Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cans (14.5 oz.) Simple Truth™ Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- 4 cups reduced sodium beef broth
- Sliced radishes, avocado, chopped cilantro, shredded cheese or plain Greek yoghurt for topping
- In a large Dutch oven or stockpot, heat olive oil and brown the bison meat until cooked through, using a large wire whisk to break up the meat as it cooks. Add the onions, garlic, peppers and sweet potatoes along with the spices and simmer while stirring until fragrant.
- Stir in the black beans, tomatoes and beef broth. Cover and simmer over low heat for 45 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings to taste, and serve warm with your favorite toppings.
- If you are planning to freeze and store the chili for a later date, make sure you cool it sufficiently before covering and putting in freezer containers.