Bison Meatball Pizza
Bison is leaner, and some would say more flavorful, than beef. It’s farmed in the U.S. and available at many supermarket meat counters.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 lb. ground bison
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 green onions, minced
- ¼ cup minced parsley leaves
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 lbs. pizza dough
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cups chunky pizza sauce
- 2 cups shredded white Cheddar cheese
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, combine bison, egg, bread crumbs, Worcestershire sauce, green onions, and parsley. Add salt and pepper. Work together with hands until well blended and ingredients have been evenly distributed in the meat.
- Roll the bison mixture into small meatballs, about 1" in diameter. Place meatballs on a baking sheet lined with nonstick foil. Bake, turning occasionally, until meatballs are cooked through, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Increase oven heat to 400°F.
- Roll out two circles of pizza dough. Spread olive oil in two 12" deep-dish pizza or pie pans. Press dough circles into pans and prick bottoms a few times with a fork.
- Ladle 2 cups of sauce into each pan. Top with cheese. Divide the meatballs evenly over sauce and cheese in each pan. Bake until browned and bubbly, about 20 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes, then serve with forks.