Black Bean and Sweet Potato Enchiladas
Packed with flavorful sweet potatoes and beans, these surprisingly easy enchiladas are a totally satisfying Meatless Monday (or any day) meal.
Serves: 6Prep: 20 minutesCook: 40 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Medium
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for brushing tortillas
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1⁄2 cup corn kernels
- 1 can (4 oz.) green chiles
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 cup red enchilada sauce, divided
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In large pot over medium-high heat, heat oil. Cook onion until just softened, about 5 minutes. Add sweet potato and water; cover. Cook until sweet potato is tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Continue cooking, uncovered, until water has evaporated, 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Stir in beans, corn, chiles, cilantro, garlic, jalapeño, cumin and salt.
- Brush both sides of tortillas lightly with oil. Arrange on baking sheet; bake until warm and pliable, about 2 minutes.
- In bottom of 9”x13” baking dish, pour 1/4 cup enchilada sauce. Spoon about 1/4 cup sweet potato mixture into each warm tortilla; roll up and arrange in baking dish, seam-side down. Top with remaining ¾ cup enchilada sauce and cheese. Cover with foil; bake until enchiladas are hot and bubbling, about 20 minutes.