Black Bean Soup
Garnish this southwestern soup with a swirl of sour cream.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ¼ cup diced onion
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 32 oz. chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped, peeled tomatoes
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. ground coriander
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. salt
- 5 drops hot pepper sauce
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- Over medium heat, sauté onions and garlic in olive oil. Add potatoes and chicken broth; simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Add tomatoes, black beans, thyme, cumin, and coriander; simmer 45 minutes more.
- Carefully purée ⅓ of the soup in a blender, and then return it to the pot. Stir in the vinegar, salt, pepper sauce, and cilantro.
- Top each serving with a spoonful of sour cream.