Black Bean Soup with Curry
Garnish each serving with chopped cilantro. It adds color and flavor.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. curry powder
- 1½ tsp. ground coriander
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup dry black beans, soaked overnight in cold water and drained
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- Heat the butter and oil in a soup pot or large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and carrot, sautéing for about 5 minutes on medium. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add the curry powder and coriander and stir to combine for an additional 1 minute.
- Pour in the chicken broth and beans, increase heat to high, and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 1½ hours.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove about half of the beans and set aside. Cool the rest of the mixture slightly, then purée it in a blender or food processor. Combine with the whole beans back in the soup pot. Stir in the salt and pepper. Reheat if necessary.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with cilantro leaves.