Black Bean and Vegetable Soup
If you can’t take the heat, try substituting a seeded, chopped jalapeño pepper or omitting the serrano pepper completely.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and diced
- 1 medium serrano pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 cups prepared black beans or 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups corn, roasted
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 medium Roma tomatoes, diced
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup sliced okra
- ½ plain low-fat Greek yogurt
- In a large pot, sauté onion and serrano pepper in olive oil over medium heat until onion is translucent, about 10 minutes. Then add bell pepper; sauté another 5 minutes.
- Add beans, corn, and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, cilantro, and okra. Serve topped with yogurt.