Black Beauty Cake
Serves: 10Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1½ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 4 large eggs
- 1½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ lb. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1½ cups butter
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 5 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup milk
- 1⅓ cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 2 round cake pans (9").
- In a bowl, mix together the cocoa and boiling water. Let cool to room temperature. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, mix together the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and baking powder on low speed for 1 minute. In a small bowl, lightly beat together the eggs and vanilla. Beat in ¼ cup of the cocoa mixture. Add the butter and the remaining cocoa to the flour mixture and beat at medium speed for 1½ minutes. Scrape the bowl occasionally. Add the egg-cocoa mixture in 3 batches, beating for 20 seconds after each addition. Scrape the bowl before each addition. Pour into the pans.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean. Cool on a rack.
- To make the frosting, melt the butter over low heat in a double boiler. Sift together the cornstarch, granulated sugar, and cocoa into a bowl, then mix into the melted butter. Add the milk and stir until completely blended. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil. Continue to stir and cook for 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat and let cool. Add the confectioners’ sugar and blend thoroughly. Frost cake.