Black Bottom Cupcakes
Save to My Recipes
These chocolate cupcakes are topped with a sweet cream cheese layer before they are baked.
Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 50 minutes
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2⅓ cups sugar, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1⅛ tsp. salt, divided
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 cups cold water
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp. distilled vinegar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, ⅓ cup sugar, egg, and ⅛ teaspoon salt. Set aside.
- Combine the flour, 2 cups sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and 1 teaspoon salt in a mixing bowl.
- In a pitcher combine the water, oil, vinegar, and vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whip with an electric mixer for 3 minutes. Pour the batter evenly into the prepared muffin tin.
- Top each cupcake with 1–2 tablespoons of the cream cheese filling.
- Bake for 28 minutes. Cool in the pan before serving.