Black Cherry Ice Cream
Sadly, the season for fresh, ripe cherries is brief, so be sure to seek them out early. Once you’ve made a batch of this delectable ice cream, you’ll certainly want more, and possibly still have time to buy fresh cherries before the season is over!
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 11 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 lb. black cherries, pitted and chopped
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1¾ cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 drops almond extract
- Toss the chopped cherries with lemon juice and set aside.
- In a medium to large saucepan, combine the milk and cream, and stir over medium heat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks with the sugar until thick and foamy. Once milk mixture is hot, temper the yolks by adding half of the mixture into the eggs, whisking constantly. Return mixture to saucepan, and heat until thickened.
- Add three-quarters of the reserved cherries to the saucepan, cook for 10 minutes, and then remove from heat. Allow to cool for 15 minutes, then add vanilla and almond extracts.
- Place mixture into a blender. Purée until smooth. Place in refrigerator until thoroughly chilled, about 5 hours or overnight.
- Once chilled, add to ice cream maker and follow manufacturer’s instructions for freezing. Near the end of the freezing cycle, add remaining cherries and allow to mix.