Black-eyed Pea Chowder
Using southern style black-eyed peas and your choice of meat, Chef Paul Sturkey constructed this simple yet incredibly flavorful gluten-free comfort dish to hit all the right notes.
Serves: 6Prep: 15 minutesCook: 45 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 2 tablespoons Kroger Brand Olive Oil
- 1 cup smoked Andouille sausage
- 1 cup yellow onion, medium diced
- 1 cup red bell pepper, medium diced
- 5 cloves fresh garlic, small diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, medium diced
- 2 cans (14 oz. each) Simple Truth™ Creamed Corn
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 bag (12 oz.) Kroger Brand Southern Style Blackeye Peas, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups russet potatoes, peeled and diced into large pieces
- 24 ounces unsalted chicken broth or unsalted chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- In saucepan over medium-high heat, heat oil. Cook meat 5 minutes.
- Add vegetables; continue cooking 5 minutes.
- Mix in corn, potatoes and ½ the peas. Pour in broth. Bring to boil.
- Reduce to simmer; simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Add remaining blackeye peas; continue simmering 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Using an immersion blender, purée chowder so there are still some whole vegetables and peas visible.
- Stir in cream. Season with salt and pepper to taste.