Black-Eyed Pea Salad with Basil Dressing
Use fresh basil in this delicious, nutritious salad for the best flavor. Serve this salad on your New Year’s Day table for good luck. Red and yellow peppers make the dish look more colorful, but you can use all red.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 2 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 cups cooked black-eyed peas
- ½ tsp. salt, divided
- ½ cup finely chopped red onion
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- ¼ cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- ¼ cup finely chopped yellow bell pepper
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil (or 1 Tbsp. dried basil, crumbled)
- 3 medium cloves garlic, crushed
- 1½ tsp. sugar
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Small fresh parsley leaves
- In a large serving dish, combine black-eyed peas, ¼ teaspoon salt, onion, celery, and bell peppers.
- In a small, deep bowl, combine vinegar, basil, garlic, sugar, pepper, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Slowly whisk in oil until well blended.
- Pour dressing over black-eyed pea mixture and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Garnish with parsley leaves before serving.