Black-Eyed Peas with Kale and Barley
This vegan salad has all the delicious flavor of peas and greens as well a burst of flavor from the sherry vinegar. Packed full of super-healthy kale, barley, and peas, it will keep you full and happy! Serve it to your favorite people; they will never even think about the fact that it's healthy or vegan.
Serves: 2Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups kale, stems removed
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1 can (15.5 oz.) black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked pearl barley
- 2 Tbsp. minced shallot
- 1 tsp. hot sauce
- 1 Tbsp. sherry vinegar
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- Finely chop kale and toss with olive oil and salt. Using your hands, massage kale between your palms for about 5 minutes until it has reduced in volume by about half and the color has changed to a deeper green.
- Add black-eyed peas, barley, shallot, hot sauce, vinegar, and pepper; toss. Serve warm or at room temperature.