Black Forest Cherry Cupcakes
Serves: 24Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 5 oz. unsweetened chocolate
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups pitted fresh or frozen sweet cherries
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup marshmallow creme
- 24 stemmed maraschino cherries
- Melt chocolate in the microwave or with a double boiler.
- Whisk together flour and baking soda in a small bowl. In a large bowl, combine butter and 1½ cups granulated sugar. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Add vanilla and eggs and beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Reduce mixer speed to medium-low and add melted chocolate.
- Add ½ of the flour mixture to the chocolate mixture and beat until blended. Add the buttermilk, then the remaining flour, and beat well.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line 2 dozen cupcake pans with paper liners.
- In a saucepan, combine ½ cup granulated sugar, cherries, and cornstarch. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until cherries are softened and a thick sauce forms. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Fill cupcake cups halfway with chocolate batter. Drop a tablespoonful of cherry mixture over the batter in each cup, then divide remaining batter over the cupcakes. Bake for 20–25 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- With a mixer on medium-high speed, whip together cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, and marshmallow creme. Spread on cooled cupcakes and garnish each with a stemmed cherry.